A Career in Project Management
Project management centres on planning and organising a project and its resources. The ability to deliver projects in budget, on time, and aligned with your businesses goals is vital to gaining competitive advantage in today’s global business environment. This is where project managers come in. Here are some of the key qualities a Project Manager should have:
-Ability to Listen
-Ability to tackle problems
-Research… curiosity and inquisitiveness
Project Managers are in demand in every industry, in every country, and can have a great amount of flexibility in their career.
If you are interested in reading how Project Managers Successfully Plan Your Project’s Goals, Outcomes and Objectives, please read our blog.
7 Steps to Leadership
1. Own your project – Begin by understanding the brief and researching the scope of your project. This will lay a firm foundation for future success and will give you greater confidence when tackling all aspects of the project.
2. Plan – Successful Project Managers will lead by using their soft skill to help influence and advise their team members and stakeholders. Last but not least, specify plans for the final celebration at end of project.
3. Make the data work for you – One of the top reasons for project failure is assumption. You may think you know what the pitfalls and risks are for your project. But until you input validated data and use it to assess risk and provide governance, you won’t really know the RAID’s unless you have a reliable source of data. A good Project Management tool will aide you on this.
4. Communicate and delegate – Successful project delivery can always be traced back to well managed team collaboration. A leader will identify core strengths in others and build on these with training and mentoring.
5. Goals and Milestones – At project start, everyone should share common goals and milestones. Frequent reviews to track progress and highlight issues are essential.
6. Amend and Assess – Keep an agile perspective, as RAID’s flag up be prepared to activate your mitigation plan to rejuvenate your project. Get back on track!
7. When you deliver your project on time and in budget, celebrate as a team.
If you have any questions about a potential career in project management, feel free to contact us at [email protected]